Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hyper

I originally created this blog with a friend's very domestic blog in mind. She is a stay-at-home-mom and writes about house things, and I started this blog during a cold Michigan winter, which tends to make one feel very house-focused.

Well, I'm sure it's going to get even more domestic with Liftoff Boy arriving because how could it not? And I'm doing my academic obsession thing, reading medical journals through the school library's databases and finding as much information as I can on macrosomia (big baby), cephalopelvic disproportion (big baby head), and failed induction. What still ticks me off are the hippie granola sites that argue that it's literally impossible that any baby could be too big to be born vaginally. One (I don't have the link, I ran away and lost it) even suggested that heads can never be too big because our gene pool is all set and the moms who had too-big-to-be-born babies all died and so did their babies and so the genes are all gone.

Um...did someone forget that proper nutrition increases growth? When I go to France and I see tiny short parents born during WWII with sons and daughters that tower over them, it occurs to me that getting enough food, vitamins, minerals, etc. makes people bigger. That height and weight both have increased since the early 20th century, at least in Europe and the U.S. I've taken prenatal vitamins since before Gigantor was conceived and I have a husband who makes sure I eat lots of fresh fruit, meats, fresh veggies, etc. So I'm growing an actual large baby who may be too big to be born in the traditional way. In addition to this, I was a c-section and almost 9 pounds despite my mom smoking during my entire gestation period (and drinking full-caf coffee all day). My dad was born through c-section. I'm sorry if c-sections took us to the third generation of giantosity without killing us off and removing our faulty genes from the precious gene pool. Guess what, crazy hippie midwife lady (not all midwives, just the one whose site I read)? I'm screwing up your theory with my big baby-producing, genetically maladaptive, well-nourished chromosomes. Suck it.

Oh, I meant to write in this post that LB's birth has moved up. Seems the doc can't do June 23rd and so we're going for Thursday, June 19th. This means LB is going to be a Gemini, not a cancer (we liked the Moon Child idea, but Gemini was the space program that preceeded Apollo, so that's cool), and he'll be born on Juneteenth, and in the spring instead of the summer. And instead of necessarily being "fair of face" because of being born on a Monday, he'll "have far to go" because of being born on a Thursday. So yes, he'll help populate the first permanent colony on Mars. And the reduced gravity on that planet may someday help his co-progenitrix birth a giant-headed Martian child.

No comments: