Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New year, etc.

I've been a bad blogger. Oh well.

1. When you stop pumping it's glorious, glorious freedom. But it's weird to get used to the idea that what you eat/drink won't go into the baby. I remember taking my first aspirin and sort of worrying that it would show up retroactively in the frozen breast milk.

2. Speaking of frozen breast milk, Liftoff Boy is still getting that every day, although we're giving him bottles of formula too. He had formula only during our week in California last month, but the real stuff is still in pretty good supply. Maybe a month's worth left?

3. Speaking of California, traveling cross country with LB and WITHOUT Liftoff Guy is a challenge I probably won't repeat. Everything would have been easier with one more parent around. Two arms aren't enough. Especially when LB is TEETHING. Yes. He was. He got his lower incisors just before Christmas, one before he turned 6 months and one just after.

4. He'll be 7 months old on the last day of Bush's presidency. Go away, Bush! LB has really got the crawling thing down - he occasionally ends up on his tummy, but it's mostly the alternating knee/hand thing. His poor knees are very pink right now, but he doesn't seem to mind the soreness. It's full speed ahead!

5. I got my tenure portfolio done on time and after receiving a few comments this week I'm allowed to make revisions. No one seems to think I need any - just a little fiddling with my CV. This is a good sign, I think. I would like to be tenured. And to be promoted to Associate Professor. I would like those things a lot.

6. Back to LB - he can say "Mom mom mom mom mom!" now, but I don't think he has any idea that the fun sounds he's making connect to an actual person. I have a student this semester who was raised by deaf parents and he thinks he's going to sign for sure with any children he has. He was also a late talker though. Like 2 years old. I'm not sure whether I want to do signing with LB to have earlier communication if it means that verbal communication would be delayed. I just have to keep thinking about it.

That's it for now. Yawn.

1 comment:

kimba said...

You probably read all about this when you were studying linguistics, but I just finished reading a pretty old New Yorker article about Genie, the child they found in Arcadia back in 1970. I'd heard about her, probably in college, but this was the first time I'd read details about what they did and didn't learn from her vis-à-vis language acquisition. It's fascinating.

You were brave and bold to fly with Luke alone, and I hope people were kind to you. It was great to see you! You guys are going to visit us in Europe, right?