Friday, July 18, 2008

Evolution didn't create perfection

I have very strong feelings in the creationism vs. evolution debate. I even have a Charles Darwin pendant, although here in west Michigan I'd be kind of scared to wear it around (I have, but LG has relatives who are young earth creationists (really!) and it just would muddy some waters that are usually very clear despite our ideological differences). I'm a dyed in the wool evolutionist who's willing to consider that some force may have put evolution into effect, but that it works on its own without constant guidance. I guess I'm a deist, sort of. An agnostic deist. Hm...

Anyway, on the other side of things are people in the homebirth/no vaccines/attachment parenting/rabid breastfeeding until 7 camp, who are evolutionists, but tend to assume that because we evolved, the "natural" way of doing things is what's best for everyone concerned. I can kind of see this when it comes to diet. To a certain extent. But on one of my favorite blogs, Mainstream Parenting Resources, there was recently an excellent post on why what evolved and is natural isn't always the very best approach. It's called Evolution is not an excuse. I agree with the post 100%. Yay science!

I also happen to think that the screwups that have occurred through evolution (Humans can talk, but the physiological changes that took place to allow that make us more likely to choke to death on food! Not-so-intelligent design at work!) demonstrate the non-guidedness involved in the process.

1 comment:

estherar said...

Thank you! :)

So far I've gotten the thumbs up on that post from an evolutionary biologist and an anthropologist (you). The women who really hated it were members of a group called "Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula". Figures, eh?

Mazel Tov on Little Liftoff, BTW!