Tuesday, July 8, 2008

So, I'm writing again....

It's been a while. Things have been super busy, as you might imagine. I'm trying to think how to blog about this briefly...but I'll just jump in and try.

1. Liftoff Boy is here. He was still breech the afternoon of his birth and we went ahead with the c-section. It went really well, amazingly well. I had my music playing (I didn't watch because I felt nauseated at the beginning) and he was born to "When You're Smiling" by Dean Martin. Liftoff Guy watched him come out, cut (okay shortened) the umbilical cord, and didn't get woozy at all. I nursed LB in the recovery room. I didn't get a headache from the spinal, my itching from the morphine was minimal, I didn't get the shakes, I never threw up. LB's apgar scores were 8 and 9, which are awesome. He was 9 pounds, 5 ounces, 18.5 inches long, and had a 15.2 inch circumference head. He's a wonderful little guy. As of yesterday, he was 9 pounds, 12 ounces and 21 inches long! I think his head circumference was 38.2 cm but I haven't translated it yet. Whatever that is, it's 90th percentile.

2. Although the surgery itself had no complications, I did develop a uterine infection that made itself known the day after we came home from the hospital. So there I went, 8 hours in the ER and then 3 more days in the hospital, this time without LB, which was pretty agonizing. LG brought LB and my mom to visit all three days, but it was really difficult. I also developed some weirdness with my blood pressure and am on meds for a while now. Hopefully they'll reduce them on Monday when I go in for a blood pressure check. I had to pump and dump because of one of the antibiotics though.

3. I am a pumping machine. Literally, right now, I am pumping as I type. LB never got the latch thing down, and then he had to be on formula, so right now he's getting 2/3 of his feedings as pumped breastmilk and 1/3 as formula. I'm making a lot and have 50 ounces of formula frozen so far. I hope to give him breastmilk for 6 months and maybe I can stop pumping early and rely on our stores (in the deep freeze now) for the last month or so? This is tedious work, and you have to feed him and then pump and I wake up desperate to pump even if LG has the night feeding covered.

4. LB is a wonderful little boy. Dark hair growing in, indigo eyes that seem to have gray and brown in them (they might end up brown like mine or even hazel, who knows). He's pretty mellow, loves to look around (especially at distant moving things like the ceiling fan or tree branches overhead), and talks to himself as he's falling asleep.

5. I have until August 10 to finish revising an article - this will be challenging, but it's good because a panel I participated on in the fall is looking to get our whole crew published in a journal somewhere. Since I'm up for tenure in the spring, this would be a good thing. Must revise article. Must do research. Oy.

No comments: