Sunday, April 13, 2008

Grading, grading, grading....

It's that time of year when I receive somewhere around 90 fresh, new 7-9 page papers to grade and have to get them back to the students (at least I feel guilty if I don't), before they "evaluate" me. While some of them are fascinating to read, they tend to be repetititive, and as an ENFP, doing the same thing over and over makes me cranky and semi-depressed.

ESPECIALLY when it's clear that they either misunderstood or ignored the guidelines for the assignment. When I ask you to cite at least three academic sources, I mean that those sources should, you know, be cited. In your text. Not that you should give me a lot of unsupported information and then give me a works cited page where I'm reading authors' names for the first time and wondering how on earth you thought you incorporated their work.

From dictionary.reference.com:

cite /saɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), cit·ed, cit·ing.
1. to quote (a passage, book, author, etc.), esp. as an authority: He cited the Constitution in his defense.
2. to mention in support, proof, or confirmation; refer to as an example: He cited many instances of abuse of power.
3. to summon officially or authoritatively to appear in court.
4. to call to mind; recall: citing my gratitude to him.
5. Military. to mention (a soldier, unit, etc.) in orders, as for gallantry.
6. to commend, as for outstanding service, hard work, or devotion to duty.
7. to summon or call; rouse to action.

Maybe they're thinking of definition number 4, and fleetingly recalling various works as they write their papers.

To be fair, most of them aren't doing this. Most of them are being good. But when an otherwise good student can't manage to follow directions...

BTW, in case you're wondering why I don't sound like an ENFP right now, stressed ENFPs start acting like ISTJs - and ISTJs are all about rules being followed. Aargh.

No comments: