Tuesday, April 1, 2008

No Foolin'

Some good news today!

1. Despite failing the 1-hour test, I don't actually have gestational diabetes according to the more accurate 3-hour test I took last week.

Here are the limits for the test:
Gestational diabetes will be diagnosed if two of the following values exceed the normal limit.
Fasting - 95 mg/dL
1 hour - 180 mg/dL
2 hours - 155 mg/dL
3 hours - 140 mg/dL


My numbers were 60, 139, 126, and 74 - that big drop at the end explains why I had a total sugar crash just as I was getting home from the doctor's. I was sweaty, shaky, confused and kept dropping things. But those numbers are great - the nurse over the phone said my body obviously can really kick the sugar out. I'm happy not just because it would have been inconvenient to have it, but also because it can be an indicator of a greater chance of getting type II diabetes later in life and can cause problems for the pregnancy and the baby.

2. Liftoff Guy finally felt Liftoff Boy kick this morning! We were chatting - I was on the couch with my computer and my half-caf coffee and LG was taking his cereal bowl back to the kitchen, and LB started kicking. He's upside down and I felt the kicks right under my breasts in the upper portion of my uterus. They were pretty strong and so I had LG come over fast and put his hand down and about 3 seconds later, bam! He said he saw my belly move and felt the kick. This is the first time he's ever felt a kick.

It will be amusing to let LB know that he first introduced himself to his father on April Fool's Day. I wonder which one of them that says more about? Of course I first felt him on New Year's Eve, so maybe LB just likes holidays (like his mom!).

No comments: