Sunday, June 1, 2008

Weird progress....

We decided to go to Detroit this weekend since Liftoff Guy's dad was doing really well yesterday (no pain, cushy new hospital, room with amazing view, big screen tv, lots of attention from nurses). The plan was to visit Windsor, Ontario so that I could add Canada to the list of countries I've visited (I think it's scandalous that I've lived in Michigan almost 5 years and have never been to Canada) and so that Liftoff Boy could visit at least one foreign country in utero.

However, today was the Detroit Air Race (also Motor City Pride Day) and downtown was packed with traffic weirdly rerouted and a horribly long traffic jam of people all trying to cross into Windsor. LG got cranky and we just decided to give up. After all, we'd already spent a lot of time in a very tony mall in Troy and went out to one of our very favorite restaurants (and they were doing lobster specials! woot!). We got to eat lobster mac and cheese while watching the Detroit Redwings beat the Pittsburgh Penguins, so that was fun. Plus there was a live singer in the restaurant mostly doing covers of John Mayer type songs....but he did an acoustic cover of Prince's Erotic City and that was SO unexpected I just broke into the worst giggles, whispering the lyrics to LG, who was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you. It totally made no sense, which was awesome.

But I wore my pregnant self out. Suddenly yesterday I started having pregnancy symptoms I've so far managed to avoid, specifically really noticeable Braxton Hicks contractions and swollen feet and ankles. It didn't help that our "four star" hotel was really run down and that the air conditioning in the room didn't work. I woke up pretty much every hour, sweating in a way that only a very pregnant person can sweat. Yick. I think I need to start taking things easy...

Still miss the girl, too. But very nice, despite the ups and downs, to run away somewhere else for a couple of days.

No comments: